Elementary English Support Teacher
REPORTS TO: Principal of Elementary
POSITION GROUP: Faculty
STATUS: Part Time (up to 0.5 FTE), Temporary, November to June
Calgary French & International School (CFIS) is a full French language immersion co-educational independent school, serving nearly 730 students from preschool through to Grade 12. For over 50 years, families have chosen CFIS because of our immersive French language learning environment that inspires children’s unique curiosity and exploration of the world around them.
Our dedicated faculty, staff, and administration team partner with CFIS families to provide an extraordinary learning experience. Our students benefit from innovative teaching and learning approaches to address global challenges, and are empowered to take responsibility as open-minded, curious citizens who are prepared for the ever-changing world around them.
Successful candidates will provide students in Grades 1 to 6 with additional support in English Language development (oral, reading, and writing), with a specific need for supporting English as an Additional Language (EAL) learners.
This position is an opportunity to work closely with classroom teachers and the literacy coach to promote excellent teaching through purposeful sharing of effective practices, peer coaching, and creating a collaborative learning culture. Student support teachers provide opportunities to further mentor their colleagues in broadening and strengthening our literacy program.
Responsibilities of this role will include:
- Meet with the English literacy team on a regular basis to further develop our program, such as various aspects of the scope and sequence;
- Provide coaching to teachers by modelling lessons and sharing information and guidance regarding a range of effective and innovative practices to support differentiation through various activities such as:
- individual discussions (informal and formal),
- coaching sessions,
- demonstration lessons with pre- and post-discussion/analysis, and
- professional development programs.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to understand their knowledge and skill related to curriculum and instruction; and
- Enhance student learning through large group, small group and individual supports.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Strong planner and organizer with exemplary communication skills;
- Strong familiarity with Alberta Education documentation;
- Commitment to quality educational experiences for children;
- Highly skilled educator with a passion and drive to improve the instructional quality of their school by extending their impact as teachers;
- Wealth of experience facilitating professional learning for colleagues and leading school-wide initiatives;
- Mastery of subject area and a desire to continue developing skills in this area;
- Understanding and knowledge in literacy, differentiation, and child development;
- Interpersonal skills that foster collegiality and blend with CFIS’s values;
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth; and
- Language learners is desirable.
- Bachelor of Education,
- In possession of an Alberta Permanent or Interim Teaching Certificate,
- Fluent English is required for this position, and
- Prior expertise and training, in English literacy and experience in supporting English as an Additional Language learners is desirable.
The successful applicant will need to provide a recent Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening prior to commencing work.
- The salary is as per the CFIS Faculty Salary grid.
- This position does not have any employee benefit entitlement.
The posting will remain open until noon on November 14th, or until a suitable candidate is found.
If this position sounds like the perfect fit for you, please submit your resume to Apply Now. Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At CFIS we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway with a cover letter and resume describing why you are a great fit and to help us learn more about you. You may be just the right candidate!
We thank all applicants in advance for their submission.
We are here to help.
376 Victoria Ave. #200
Westmount, Quebec H3Z 1C3
M-F: 9:00 – 17:00
S-S: By Appointment
376 Victoria Avenue #200
Westmount, QC Canada, H3Z 1C3
- [email protected]
- 438.300.6190 | 866.300.9181
- WhatsApp | Telegram +1.514.970.8682