A Canadian Federal regulation for all unaccompanied minors studying in Canada.

Canadian Federal & Provincial Regulations

Citizenship and Immigration Canada requires unaccompanied foreign students studying in Canada to have a legal guardian in place if they are under the age of majority.  Age of majority is 18 in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan. In British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, and Yukon the age of majority is 19.

Required Documentation

The Canadian Federal Government requires the completion of a two page Custodian
Declaration by both parents and the acting guardian. Page one is completed by the guardian. It must be signed, and sealed in the presence of a notary in Canada.  Page two is completed by both parents. It must be signed, and sealed in the presence of a notary in their home country.  When both pages of the document are complete and the student has received an official letter of acceptance to a recognized school, the student may apply for a Federal Study Permit. 

In the Province of Quebec two additional documents are required to obtain a CAQ, the provincial equivalent to the Federal Study Permit. The Quebec Guardianship Declaration is completed and signed by the guardian.  The Quebec Guardianship Parental Authority Declaration is completed and signed by the parents.  Neither of these documents require notarization.

Medical Insurance for International Students

Click for Quotes - Kayla Segal Financial Services - SchoolAdvice Partner

SchoolAdvice Guardianship Services

SchoolAdvice makes the guardianship process simple and straightforward. We prepare all the material and provide families with signature ready official guardianship documentation.  All sensitive information related to the student and family are stored in a secure client portal.

Under the SchoolAdvice Guardianship program, temporary custody of your child is transferred to SchoolAdvice for the duration of the school year.  A SchoolAdvice guardian acts in place of parents to provide assistance with emergencies, accommodation, communications with the school, travel and the overall success of your child.


Guardianship Student VISA
Guardianship & Education Support Services

24/7 Emergency Phone Access

A SchoolAdvice Guardian is available around the clock.

Banking Services

SchoolAdvice assists with setting up local a bank account for your son or daughter.

School Selection & Recommendations

SchoolAdvice can assist with registration, applications, and school recommendations.

Medical Insurance

SchoolAdvice assists with medical insurance for your children.

Parent Teacher Interviews

SchoolAdvice guardians are able to attend school interviews and report to parents.

Personal Advisor Service

SchoolAdvice offers mentoring and counselling services to students.

Family & Student Newsletter

We are here to help!


376 Victoria Ave. #200
Westmount, Quebec H3Z 1C3


M-F: 9:00 – 17:00
S-S: By Appointment

Call Us


376 Victoria Avenue #200
Westmount, QC Canada, H3Z 1C3

Privacy Policy
Cookie Policy
Terms and Conditions
Green Hosting Badge