POSITION: Academic Coach
POSITION REPORTS TO: Director of Student Success (DSS)
DIRECT REPORTS: None
WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Teachers, Coaches
TEAMS & COMMITTEES: None
COMPENSATION: Substitute teacher daily rate for 2.5 days per week (2 in person, the other 0.5 flexible).
The Academic Coach will work closely with a specified roster of students to provide personalized academic support, guidance, and mentorship, helping them achieve their full potential and succeed in their educational pursuits. They will communicate regularly with the student, teachers and parents/guardians.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES & CAPABILITIES:
- Provide one-on-one and small group academic coaching sessions for students across various grade levels, focusing on areas such as study skills, time management, organization, and subject-specific content.
- Assess students’ learning styles, strengths, and areas requiring improvement, developing tailored strategies to meet individual needs.
- Collaborate with teachers, parents, and school administrators to create personalized academic plans for students and monitor their progress regularly.
- Offer guidance and support to enhance students’ critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and overall academic performance.
- Stay updated with educational best practices, innovative teaching methodologies, and resources to continuously improve coaching techniques.
- Maintain accurate records of student progress, coaching sessions, and recommendations to track and evaluate effectiveness.
- At minimum, schedule and facilitate a weekly meeting with individual students on assigned caseload.
- At minimum, provide weekly communication with: parents/guardians, DSS, teachers, coach (if applicable).
- Schedule and supervise a designated Study Hall for students on caseload, and provide individualized coaching and academic guidance during this time. This may take place at lunch time and/or after school.
- This role is part-time, necessitating in-person attendance specifically on Tuesdays and Wednesdays every week.
- The on-site work hours are from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm at the Armbrae Academy campus.
- The total compensation package encompasses an extra half workday to accommodate tasks like correspondence and planning that extend beyond the two designated in-person workdays per week. This equates to a total of 2.5 days of work at the current Armbrae supply teacher daily rate.
- A school-owned laptop will be provided.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Strong understanding of diverse learning styles, educational psychology, and effective teaching methods.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to build rapport and establish trust with students, fostering a positive and supportive learning environment.
- Proficiency in utilizing technology and educational tools to support coaching efforts.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Psychology, Counseling, or a related field.
- Prior experience in academic coaching, teaching, or educational counseling, particularly within an independent school setting.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply directly to ApplytoEducation online or through Armbrae’s online application process at armbrae.ns.ca/careers. Please include with your cover letter and resume: teaching qualifications/licenses and employment references.
We are here to help.
376 Victoria Ave. #200
Westmount, Quebec H3Z 1C3
M-F: 9:00 – 17:00
S-S: By Appointment
376 Victoria Avenue #200
Westmount, QC Canada, H3Z 1C3
- [email protected]
- 438.300.6190 | 866.300.9181
- WhatsApp | Telegram +1.514.970.8682