Senior School Social Studies Teacher
Position: Senior School Social Studies Teacher
Start Date: August 28, 2023
Urban Academy is a rapidly growing independent school in New Westminster located in a beautiful new facility across the street from Braid Street Skytrain Station. Our mission is to empower creative and courageous leadership by delivering exceptional education through the integration of arts, science, and technology. We value creativity, collaboration, technology, the outdoors and the arts as means through which we can offer excellence in education.
Urban Academy is currently inviting dedicated, team-oriented teachers to apply for our Senior School Social Studies Teacher position. This role requires an innovative teaching professional to support a collaborative learning environment using engaging and meaningful pedagogy focused on student learning and growth. This is a continuing position.
Faculty are required to support the school’s co-curricular program. The co-curricular program includes recreational athletics, competitive athletics, and academic clubs and is offered a minimum of two times per week per term.
Responsibilities will include:
- Experienced in bringing a diversity of voices and worldviews to classroom material and learning experiences, including Indigenous, local, and global perspectives.
- Demonstrated commitment to incorporating real-world connections and problem solving into teaching and learning.
- Collaborating with colleagues to align planning, instruction, and assessment.
- Utilize outcome-based assessment and instruction as well as strong formative and summative assessment strategies.
- Incorporating the ministry’s Core Competencies regularly into lessons, assessments, and feedback.
- Building a strong rapport with students and supporting the students in bringing out their best, both in and out of the classroom.
- Regular communication to students, parents, and other stakeholders about student needs and growth, including but not limited to IEP meetings, formal report cards, and student- parent-teacher conferences.
- Using a variety of pedagogical approaches and lesson design.
- Make relevant and innovative use of multiple technologies in the classroom, including using Google Classroom as the student LMS, and MySchool for reporting.
- Participating actively in professional development opportunities and training programs.
Qualifications will include:
- Valid BC Teaching Certificate.
- Superior skills in knowledge of curriculum, teaching and learning, specifically when planning educational strategies.
- Strongly committed to student learning and success; being able to understand the needs of students while engaging them as active learners in the classroom.
- Ability to evaluate and report on student progress using Ministry of Education assessment standards and practices.
- A proven ability to develop a positive learning environment in the classroom and evidence of strong organization and classroom management skills
- Desire to continually improve; current on pedagogical trends through continued reading and relevant recent professional development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills.
Please visit our website (www.urbanacademy.ca) to learn more about UA’s wonderful school life and see if this is the type of environment that you feel you could thrive in, and contribute to. At Urban Academy we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring a barrier-free work environment. We welcome applications from all qualified job seekers, from BIPOC (black, indigenous, and people of color), persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ (persons of all sexual orientations and genders). If you are an applicant with a disability, we will work with you to make reasonable workplace accommodations you may need for your best work performance.
Urban Academy offers a comprehensive total compensation package including health benefits and RRSP program.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, but only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted. No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Please email your cover letter and resumé to [email protected].
We are here to help.
376 Victoria Ave. #200
Westmount, Quebec H3Z 1C3
M-F: 9:00 – 17:00
S-S: By Appointment
You have Successfully Subscribed!
376 Victoria Avenue #200
Westmount, QC Canada, H3Z 1C3
- [email protected]
- 438.300.6190 | 866.300.9181
- WhatsApp | Telegram +1.514.970.8682