Elementary School Education Assistant
Reports to: Head of Elementary School
Position Group: Support Staff
Status: Temporary: January to June 2023
Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School (STS) is a premier co-educational day school nestled in the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains just outside of the City of Calgary on a 220-acre campus. As an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, STS offers all three IB Programmes from Kindergarten through to Grade 12.
In addition to the global perspective offered by the IB Diploma Programme, STS offers an extensive co-curricular program in a technology-rich environment. Students take advantage of the amazing natural setting including a small pond, forest, and extensive trail system to complement their academic learning.
STS combines the rich traditions from its 117 years of history with innovative and research-based instructional practices where students pursue lives of purpose, flourishing emotionally, physically, and intellectually.
Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School (STS) is seeking a qualified, experienced and engaging Education Assistant who would work primarily in Grade 3 offering literacy, numeracy, and daily support for the students.
Detailed Job Description
The Education Assistant will provide one-to-one or small group support to students. The position will work alongside the Learning Strategist and homeroom teachers to support student learning. This is a new 1.0 FTE temporary position with benefits that will begin in January 2023 and end in June 2023.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and innovative Educational Assistant who appreciates working in a collaborative environment. The candidate will also have a strong understanding of the Alberta Program of Studies. Experience in literacy and or numeracy intervention would be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will need to obtain a current vulnerable sector police check.
Core Areas of Responsibility
- Assist with planning, preparing, and implementing programs to meet the needs of students;
- Work with the Learning Strategist to adapt creative learning strategies for students;
- Modify and adapt, with the Learning Strategist, creative learning strategies for students;
- Work with students to ensure they maintain focus and remain on task;
- Document and record observations on student’s progress and learning in the log and communication book;
- Organize program materials and activities;
- Meet with the Learning Strategist to understand developmental plans, receive direction, and discuss options on ways to improve students’ progress and growth;
- Observe and record the student’s development, progress, and behaviour;
- Provide the teachers and Learning Strategist with information and anecdotal notes to update the student’s progress;
- Attend to the specific needs of students;
- Provide other support and perform duties as directed;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of the Elementary School.
- Possess strong communication skills;
- Highly organized with the ability to multi-task and work within a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Provide a high standard of professional performance.
Applications must contain a cover letter, your resume, the names and contact information for three work-related references one of which must be a direct supervisor (your references will not be contacted without your prior consent). Please submit your application via email to [email protected] with the position noted in the subject line. Please do not send documents via OneDrive or other cloud-based services and please do not send letters of reference, evaluations, and/or transcripts unless asked to do so.
Applications will be reviewed as received and interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early as the position may be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is selected.
We thank all those who apply, but only those selected to participate in the next phase of our interview process will be contacted.
Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School provides a welcoming environment for all employees and encourages diversity among staff and students as part of our commitment to the Alberta Human Rights Act.
We are here to help.
376 Victoria Ave. #200
Westmount, Quebec H3Z 1C3
M-F: 9:00 – 17:00
S-S: By Appointment
376 Victoria Avenue #200
Westmount, QC Canada, H3Z 1C3
- [email protected]
- 438.300.6190 | 866.300.9181
- WhatsApp | Telegram +1.514.970.8682