University Guidance Counsellor
University Guidance Counsellor
Part-time – 50% FTE
Starting January 2023
Department: Senior School
Reports to: Senior School Head
- Bachelor of Education
- Guidance Qualifications/Certification
- Additional qualifications (an asset)
- 5+ years of experience in a guidance/university counsellor position
- Experience in an Independent School
- Experience working in a university setting (an asset)
Working Conditions: Office Environment, Mac, Google
St. Mildred’s-Lightbourn School
Inspired Girls. Empowered Women. St. Mildred’s-Lightbourn School (SMLS) is recognized as one of the premier independent schools in the country and brings a long history of educational
excellence to girls from preschool to university entrance. For well over a century, SMLS has helped develop courageous girls who challenge and change the world.
SMLS has an opening for a part-time University Guidance Counsellor. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the Higher Education Program which provides guidance to our students as they consider, prepare for and apply to their post secondary institutions of choice.
The successful candidate is enthusiastic, articulate, compassionate and an innovative educator with counselling expertise, who communicates with ease and confidence. You support a learning environment that allows different learners to thrive and prosper and reach their academic and personal goals. You work collaboratively as part of a whole-school guidance team and bring innovative ideas to the table.
We are seeking a dynamic, exemplary educator with the following key qualities and a willingness to continue to develop and grow as a professional:
Higher Education Guidance
- Provide personalized counselling and support for students and parents in planning for course pathways and post-secondary education;
- Provide students and families with exceptional guidance and detailed information regarding post-secondary program application requirements and dates;
- Research and communicate post-secondary education and admission policies and procedures in North America and abroad;
- In-depth knowledge of Higher Education process for elite athletes both within Canada and the United States;
- Provide support to students for scholarship programs, and assist faculty with the preparation of recommendation letters;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Canadian, US and International University admissions offices;
- Plan and facilitate Higher Education guest speakers and school visits by University representatives;
- Liaise with Senior School Head and members of the Circle of Care team (Director of Learning Strategies, Guidance Counsellors, School Nurse and Social Workers) supporting the development of the Whole Student;
- Collaboration with the Middle School Guidance Counsellor to support students’ Higher Education Pathway and transition to Senior School;
- Work with the Advancement Team to engage SMLS Alumnae in the mentorship of SMLS students.
- Provide guidance to students and families during the annual course selection process and add/drop periods;
- Support students and families in using our Higher Education platform Cialfo to track courses and post-secondary applications;
- Monitor student progress toward OSSD requirements, including course credits, OSSLT and community involvement hours;
- Collaborate with the Senior Administrative Coordinator in maintaining student academic records in the school SIS (Trevlac);
- Ensuring that all course credit information (waivers, substitutions, transcripts, etc,) is added to Ontario Student Records as needed;
- Support timely submission of student course and grade information to the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC), Ontario College Application Service (OCAS) and International Institutions of Higher Education;
- Support the ongoing development and teaching of our Grad Seminar classes with a focus on post-secondary education, career planning and transition;
- Desire to seek opportunities that go above and beyond to contribute to a dynamic academic and co-curricular learning environment.
Respect: We welcome and support the diversity of our school community and the broader communities and environment in which we learn, work and live. We respect our Anglican roots and our traditions.
Integrity: Honesty and responsibility are fundamental to everything we do – from the classroom to the boardroom.
Innovation: We are in a place where new ideas and promising practices can be explored, evaluated and flourish.
Commitment: We recognize our responsibilities to each other and to the world, and we will stand by our word and persevere with passion, pride and hard work.
Courage: We are not afraid to confront the uncertainties or difficulties the future may bring. We are resilient and are prepared to be bold and take action.
If you are interested in joining the School team and playing an integral role in the development of young women, please apply online at smls.simplication.com.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for your interest in SMLS, however, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
SMLS is an equal opportunity employer and we accommodate any needs under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Respect for the dignity and worth of every individual in the workplace is fundamental at SMLS. Our school recognizes the importance of diversity and fosters an inclusive, cohesive, and compassionate culture modeled by faculty, staff, students and parents.
We are here to help.
376 Victoria Ave. #200
Westmount, Quebec H3Z 1C3
M-F: 9:00 – 17:00
S-S: By Appointment
376 Victoria Avenue #200
Westmount, QC Canada, H3Z 1C3
- [email protected]
- 438.300.6190 | 866.300.9181
- WhatsApp | Telegram +1.514.970.8682