Head Of Experiential Education, Global Expeditions and Service
Permanent, Full-Time (1.0 FTE), starting September, 2023
If you are an educator who inspires students, is passionate about holistic learning and is driven to help young people shape their lives, this is a role, a school and a place for you.
Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, St. Michaels University School (SMUS) is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 day and boarding school with a global reputation for academic excellence. Our faculty members enjoy small classes, modern facilities, and substantial preparation time that creates opportunities to understand their students and to make a real impact in their lives. Faculty salaries and benefits exceed the local public school districts and are supported by an exciting professional development program. As lifelong learners, and with students at the centre, SMUS faculty are capacity builders by nature and inspiring educators by practice.
Our students from all over the world have opportunities in academics, athletics, arts, leadership, service, experiential and outdoor education, and are inspired by an extraordinary faculty that is committed to academic excellence, character growth and preparing students for what lies ahead in life. The school’s Mission shapes all of these endeavours: Our school seeks the excellence in all of us, with passion and compassion. We are a community shaped by the pursuit of truth and goodness, providing outstanding preparation for life. At St. Michaels University School, we seek to employ and empower individuals who wish to forge impactful relationships and careers that place our students at the centre. We firmly believe that expanding our diversity while adjusting our practice will lead to becoming the community we envision – a place where staff and students share a sense that they fully belong.
Reporting to the Director of Senior School, the Head of Experiential Education, Global Expeditions and Service primarily oversees the Experiential Education Program, while leading and supporting the areas of Global Expeditions and Service. This role will also have teaching responsibilities up to a 0.40 FTE.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Education.
- Hold or be eligible for a valid BC Teaching Certificate.
- Familiarity with the BC Curriculum and Independent School experience is an asset.
- Experience implementing experiential opportunities within a school environment.
- Proven ability in working effectively with students, teachers and parents/guardians.
- Demonstrated ability in fostering inspiring, dynamic environments, and leading with core values of kindness, care and encouragement.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, negotiation and skills.
- Experience with cross curricular planning and assessment.
- An understanding of current differentiation strategies and commitment to the needs of all learners.
- Strong sense of student advocacy.
- Growth mindset and ability to offer and receive professional feedback.
- Evidence of innovative and inspiring teaching practices and assessment.
- Strong commitment to ongoing professional learning.
- A high level of attention to detail, as well as the capacity to be a proactive and analytical problem solver.
- Organized with the ability to work under deadlines with conflicting demands from various departments.
- Enthusiastic, energetic, a self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to be tactful, demonstrate excellent judgement, and work as a positive and collaborative team member.
- Strong technology skills, especially in Google Suite, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strategically lead and manage the ongoing operations of the Grade 10 Experiential Education Program. Including but not limited to:
- Program development, contracting, training and leading external program providers.
- Create and execute experiential experiences for students in the program.
- Build relationships and liaise with community stakeholders.
- Work with the Service Coordinator to embed a culture of service within the Senior School program.
- Guide Senior School faculty in the development of experiential education opportunities in their specific program areas.
- Serve as an expert resource for faculty in the area of experiential education.
- Work closely with the Service Coordinator on the delivery of both internal and external service initiatives.
- Coordinate and support Global Expeditions, including supporting trip leaders in their planning, risk mitigation and communication with all stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the Senior School Leadership Team.
- Coordinate with the Assistant Directors at the Middle School and Junior School to align programming and ensure consistency across campuses.
- Work collaboratively with multiple departments on curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Consistent and professional communication with students, faculty and parents.
- A commitment to teaching for understanding using a standards-based assessment model.
- Maintain effective ongoing assessment of student learning in order to provide clear feedback to students and their parents.
- Liaise with teaching faculty, parents, and administration as an advocate for students.
- Practice professionalism through ongoing professional development, reflection, and continuous improvement.
- Teach in an area of expertise and participate in the co-curricular program (and boarding life) of the school.
- Other duties as required.
Criminal Record Check:
Must pass and maintain a clear Solicitor General criminal record check for the purpose of working with children.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume in a single document to https://platform.risepeople.com/app/#/recruiting/job-postings/view/6068?from=job-postings by 2pm Monday, November 21, 2022.
We are here to help.
376 Victoria Ave. #200
Westmount, Quebec H3Z 1C3
M-F: 9:00 – 17:00
S-S: By Appointment
376 Victoria Avenue #200
Westmount, QC Canada, H3Z 1C3
- [email protected]
- 438.300.6190 | 866.300.9181
- WhatsApp | Telegram +1.514.970.8682