Director of Student Life
Greenwood College School was founded to inspire students to venture further in order to prepare them for the challenges and experiences of life.
At Greenwood, teaching and learning are organized to facilitate success for all of our students. The prior experience of the successful candidate will show evidence of this belief. Previous experience with or a willingness to embrace differentiated learning and related learning technology are also important considerations for this position.
Greenwood’s professional culture is highly collaborative – all staff members participate in job-embedded professional development. Accordingly, the successful candidate must demonstrate a willingness to collaborate with and foster collaboration amongst colleagues. The willingness to participate fully in the life of the school, including co-curriculars and the Outdoor Education program, is also an essential attribute.
The Director, Student Life, plays a key role in helping maintain our school’s reputation as a school in which students look forward to coming to school. The Director, Student Life will oversee the organization and continued development of programs and events that build character, enhance our internal sense of community, and connect our students with communities outside of Greenwood.
The Director, Student Life will:
- Work with Administration and school staff to ensure Student Life programs support the school’s mission and core values
- Serve as a member of the School Directors team
- Help school administration maintain a positive and mission-appropriate tone in the school
- Act as the staff adviser for the Student Life Executive Council and meet bi-weekly with the council to coordinate and oversee the various leadership programs and initiatives
- Act as the staff liaison for the Student Headship, meeting with them weekly to discuss their ideas and initiatives
- Develop and oversee a plan that facilitates the successful social transition for students new to Greenwood
- Supervise the annual plans of Coordinators reporting to them
- Organize, facilitate and oversee the school life committees and clubs programming
- Collaborate with the Coordinator, Student Well-Being to initiate activities which aim to integrate health and well-being into school life programming
- Organize, facilitate and oversee the Grade 11 Leadership Transition program including the Grade 11 June Leadership Day on Toronto Island
- Oversee the management of the Grade 12 Leadership program, including Grade 12 Fall Outdoor Education Leadership Programming
- Work with the Manager, Communications to oversee school assemblies
- Liaise with the Manager, Communications to communicate the virtues and successes of Greenwood’s Student Life programs to the greater school community
- Collaborate with the Vice-Principal, Deputy Head of School and Vice-Principal, Finance & Operations to establish and manage budgets for the program
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Action oriented with a passion for co-education and knowledge of educational best practices
- Leadership experience, Graduate level qualifications, and evidence of extensive professional development; PQP qualifications an asset
- Minimum 5 years teaching experience with a foundation and well developed understanding of developmentally appropriate programs
- Strong presentation, technological and communication skills, including written reports, verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with staff and parents
- Demonstrated commitment to healthy school and workplace culture
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work effectively, manage a full workload and meet deadlines
- Strong organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students and staff
- Demonstrated ability to take direction and respond to performance feedback
- Previous experience managing and planning for large groups
- Experience planning and managing budgets successfully
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of personalized learning and supporting and nurturing the development of the whole child
The Director, Student Life will teach 3 courses in addition to the duties of this portfolio.
Interested applicants should send their resume to the attention of Melinda MacDonald, Manager, Human Resources, via email to [email protected]. We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Greenwood is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for staff, students and families. We aim to embrace individuals whose differences include, but are not limited to: age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, and sexual orientation. We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from all qualified individuals, especially those who would bring diverse perspectives, identities and ideas to our community. Accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities at all stages of the selection process.
Please submit both your cover letter and resume in a single pdf file. Files should be in the following name format: initial_lastname_subject(s)
Application deadline: Monday, May 15, 2023
We are here to help.
376 Victoria Ave. #200
Westmount, Quebec H3Z 1C3
M-F: 9:00 – 17:00
S-S: By Appointment
You have Successfully Subscribed!
376 Victoria Avenue #200
Westmount, QC Canada, H3Z 1C3
- [email protected]
- 438.300.6190 | 866.300.9181
- WhatsApp | Telegram +1.514.970.8682