Employment Terms: Full-Time, PermanentStart Date: May, 2018
Founded in 1829, Upper Canada College is a leading independent school for boys SK- Grade 12, located in the heart of Toronto. The College presents a rigorous, liberal education through the International Baccalaureate Programme and broad co-curricular opportunities to engage students, faculty and staff. Our students are motivated and supported by a well-resourced, exceptional faculty, who bring a diversity of experience to an exemplary professional learning community.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Development & Stewardship, the Senior Manager, Major Gifts is responsible for managing a portfolio of donors which includes: identifying prospective leadership donors, developing relationships with them, soliciting them and providing ongoing stewardship. The Senior Manager is accountable for developing cultivation and solicitation plans for priority prospects.
The Senior Manager, Major Gifts is accountable for consistent and strong growth in revenue and participation rates, as well as donor satisfaction. He/she ensures the quality of communications to prospects is consistent in tone and content with UCC standards.
He/she works with other members of the Senior Development team to develop and implement major fundraising strategies to maximize private funding in order to address the College’s Strategic Plan. As a member of the Advancement team, the Senior Manager is responsible for participating in a variety of initiatives to improve the College’s relations with Old Boys, parents and friends.
The Senior Manager, Major Gifts is either a seasoned major gift fundraiser or a fundraiser who has developed experience with face to face solicitation at mid-level donor giving levels with patron circles and leadership giving type programs. Being part of the UCC community and being a positive member of the advancement team will ensure the Senior Manager’s success as will having a high degree of EQ, excellent relationship management skills, and a commitment to the outstanding education of children and youth.
The Senior Manager, Major Gifts is primarily responsible for managing relationships with 100 to 150 major gift prospects for UCC which include Old Boys, parents and friends. There are six specific functions to maximize goodwill and philanthropy to the College:
1. Identification – work with volunteers, the advancement staff researcher and other staff to identify members of the UCC community who have the capacity to make gifts of at least $100,000, to qualify them, conduct research and build a strategy for engagement.
2. Strategy Development –develops and executes tailored cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned prospects. The strategies include tactics for engaging prospects in the life of the College, communications, solicitation and other interactions.
3. Cultivation – working with senior staff at the school (e.g. the Principal, Vice Principal and Director of Development), volunteers and others, develop relations with individual prospects. The Senior Manager will do this through extensive telephone, written and in-person communication, working each prospect towards eventual solicitation. As part of this process, the Senior Manager will work to identify prospects’ areas of greatest interest, and those fundraising priorities of the College to which giving would most likely be directed.
4. Solicitation – working with senior staff at the school and others, solicit assigned prospects for leadership gifts to the College. The Senior Manager will mostly be involved with in-person solicitations and will also be responsible for background preparation, briefing notes, including the development and presentation of customized proposals and other donation correspondence for prospective donors.
5. Stewardship – work with the Manager of Donor Relations to develop donor recognition and stewardship strategies for the assigned major gift donors. These strategies may include special communications, events, naming opportunities and ongoing contact.
6. Program Development and Administration – support the advancement team with strategic planning, campaign execution, trip planning, constituency relations and special events. The Senior Manager is also involved with the preparation of detailed briefing notes for senior staff and volunteers, and for documenting the results of contacts with assigned prospects through the Raisers Edge database.
Key Experience, Knowledge and Competencies:
5 plus years’ progressive experience in front-line fundraising, closing gifts in the range of $50,000+ and working with campaign volunteers;
Track record managing donor pipelines and identifying and soliciting high potential donors;
Successful fundraising experience in a high-performance team environment;
Demonstrated knowledge of current trends in the field of philanthropy;
Proven program management experience. Has a track record identifying funding opportunities that inspire donors to give and meet the funding objectives of an organization;
Outstanding interpersonal skills, including listening, being empathetic and building significant relationships with high net worth donors;
Superior communications skills, both oral and written. Excellent and professional presentation skills and manner;
Excellent analysis skills. An ability to analyze pipeline and donor trends, track cultivation and solicitation efforts;
Ability to effectively serve a broad variety of demanding clients;
Self-motivated to meet goals. Works well independently and as part of a team;
Familiarity using databases such as Raisers Edge to track donor activity;
Strong organizational and time management skill;
Confident, capable, mature, humble, thoughtful, sophisticated, diplomatic – a person of substance;
Positive, energetic, with a “just do it” personality;
High degree of emotional intelligence. Persistent in a way that respects relationships and understands what motivates and drives individuals;
Undergraduate university degree or related experience;
Enjoys being a part of and participating in a tight knit community and participating in UCC events and activities.
Based at Upper Canada College in Toronto;
Some travel outside Toronto and outside Canada;
At times, non-conventional work hours (early mornings, evenings and weekends).
Please apply online by creating a “Professional/Management” profile account by Friday April 6, 2018. We thank all candidates in advance; however, will contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls please.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value diversity, encouraging applicants from all qualified individuals. If you are contacted by UCC regarding a job opportunity, please advise us if you require any accommodations.