Upper York School, Markham, Ontario
Founded in 2017, with a successful inaugural year, Upper York School is an OFIS member, private high school. UYS offers small classes with individual attention to domestic and international students from grades 9 to grade 12. Upper York School is committed to providing a safe and engaging learning environment so that students grow personally and academically.
The Mission at Upper York: To nurture a mindset and develop learning skills that enable students to lead by example as engaged, knowledgeable and compassionate citizens of the world.
- Provide a diverse student-centred curriculum that enables students to develop emotionally, socially, creatively and physically.
- Build a learning environment where individuals are respected and valued, and work together as a community.
- Challenge students to think critically, to problem solve and to use a growth mindset.
- Encourage students to be leaders in, and make positive contributions to, their local and global communities.
Upper York School offers a curriculum focusing on the refinement of academic skills, and on the preparation of students for post-secondary success. Courses are designed so that students will understand the theoretical principles, practical applications, and substantive content of each given curriculum. Academic excellence and language communication skills are essential components
Upper York School is committed to delivering the Ontario mandated Ministry of Education Curriculum. Students benefit from small class sizes averaging between three and seven students, with no more than ten students in a class. This student to teacher ratio allows for a personalized program and significant individual attention, especially for English Language Learners. Students participate in daily extra curricular activities after school including sports and clubs, and in regular community service events.
Upper York School is committed to reaching every student so that they achieve their individual potential and to providing a stimulating and engaging learning environment, focused upon preparation for post-secondary success.
The Principal Position
The Principal is responsible for ensuring that Upper York School delivers on its mission in preparing its students for the future. With a focus on the refinement of academic skills and on the preparation of students for post-secondary success.
A strong communicator and team builder, the Principal will lead and enable teachers at Upper York School to deliver on the vision of putting the learner at the forefront of the learning process. The focus is on individual student learning styles and developing strategies based on identified strengths and interests.
The Principal will be responsible for admissions and for market positioning of the school. Additionally, the Principal will focus on delivering on the strategic initiatives and advancing Upper York School.
Experience and Qualifications
- An undergraduate degree and teaching qualifications
- A post-graduate degree is an asset
- Previous experience in a leadership position in an independent school is an asset
- A reputation for acting with integrity and being values-driven and respectful
- A track record for strong leadership, which fosters a culture of engagement
- A lifelong learner with a pioneering spirit and a commitment to innovation
- Experience and knowledge in English as a second language education program
- Experience in operational management, including implementing strategic and operational plans, admissions and public relations
- Strong communication and relationship building skills with all stakeholder groups: parents, teachers, staff, students, alumni and the School Owners
- Strong resource management experience and business acumen and proven experience in budget, finance and risk management
- Strong people management skills and team leadership capability with a commitment to growing and developing people
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and express their interest in confidence via email to [email protected], or by mail to Teal & Co at 277 Lakeshore Rd. E., Suite 407, Oakville, Ontario, L6J 1H9, no later than May 28th, 2018. We appreciate all applications, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. For additional school information and the position profile visit: www.upperyorkschool.ca.
Upper York School is committed to providing accommodation for persons with disabilities. Please contact the Upper York School administration office (905) 604-4622 for further details or if you require any information in an alternate format.