Lakefield College School
Founded in 1879, Lakefield College School is a leader among Ontario’s independent boarding and day schools and prides itself on its reputation for innovative teaching and academic excellence. LCS is a coeducational high school committed to bringing out the best in each of its members and offers a boarding school experience designed to maximize the education of the whole student.
A rigorous academic program prepares our high school students for university and beyond. Our spectacular campus located just 1.5 hours northeast of Toronto, allows students to enjoy a variety of sports, an enriching cocurricular program and allows our faculty to offer experiential learning opportunities across the curriculum. Lakefield College School has a proud 137-year history of educating some of Canada’s finest young men and women. Our graduates go on to successful careers in all aspects of business, politics, social services, academia and the arts. We are particularly proud to have been the alma mater for His Royal Highness The Duke of York, His Majesty King Felipe VI of Spain and four Rhodes Scholars.
The Pastoral Caregiver reports to the Assistant Head of School Life and is a member of the School Life Team which meets on a regular basis. The Pastoral Caregiver is responsible for providing pastoral care and attention to students who are experiencing challenges with their studies, their health, or their conduct, beyond those which can be dealt with routinely, and for communicating with parents. The Pastoral Caregiver works closely with the school’s Health Services team and most closely with our Mental Health Nurse Clinician. The Pastoral Caregiver may provide an intake service to those students who require more professional therapeutic support through our Health Centre.
- Represents the school’s mission and philosophy
- Works in a procedural, consensus-building manner and remains accessible to all students to manage all aspects of student life, consistent with:
- the school’s mission and philosophy
- the school’s strategic plan
- the School Life Guide
- Attends the Standards Committee meetings and ensures that recommendations about accountability are fulfilled, and communicated to all stakeholders
- Attends all Grade Team meetings, and meets regularly with Grade Team Leaders
- Ensures that students interests are well served by Student Leadership (including grade representatives, and all aspects of senior leadership and graduating senior events)
- Coordinates and gives leadership to the management of students who are experiencing challenges in their studies, their health, or their conduct, beyond those which can be dealt with routinely, including direct communication with the students and their parents
- With the support of the Heads of House:
- follows up on all decisions made at Standards Committee meetings regarding students whose behaviour has been unacceptable
- sets up and monitors specified limitations and goals for students with behavioural shortcomings
- maintains an ongoing record of accountability for them
- Regular attendance at weekly Complex Care, School Life and Residential Team meetings
- Regular communication to parents as appropriate and/or required
- Makes recommendations for changes to disciplinary policies and procedures
Skills & Education:
- An undergraduate degree in counselling, social work, pastoral care, or equivalent. A Masters or graduate studies in any of these disciplines would be considered an asset
- At least five years’ experience as a youth counsellor, social worker, or equivalent
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An aptitude for working collaboratively, yet decisively with others, including students, parents and staff
- Strong leadership, mentoring, decision-making, resolution, planning and organizational skills
The Ideal Candidate:
- Will have a strong commitment to both the school’s day and boarding programs
- Must be willing to work flexible hours (evenings and weekends) to deal with issues as and when they arise
- Will live in reasonably close proximity to the campus
How to apply:
Please complete your profile and submit your resume information through the Careers Section of our website May 14, 2018, by 9:00 am.
Please Note: LCS is committed to providing accommodation for persons with disabilities. Please visit our Accessibility page for further details or contact our Human Resources department, [email protected], for any information in an alternate format.
While we appreciate all applications, we can only contact those individuals selected for interviews. LCS is an equal opportunity employer.