Upper Canada CollegeIntermediate Division Coordinator, Wernham West Centre for Learning
Intermediate Division Coordinator
Employment Terms: F/T, Permanent
Start Date: August 2018
Founded in 1829, Upper Canada College is a leading independent school for boys SK- Grade 12, located in the heart of Toronto. The College presents a rigorous, liberal education through the International Baccalaureate Programme and broad co-curricular opportunities to engage students, faculty and staff. Our students are motivated and supported by a well-resourced, exceptional faculty, who bring a diversity of experience to an exemplary professional learning community.
The individual in this full-time position will a member of the Wernham West Centre for Learning team reporting directly to the Director for the Wernham West Centre for Learning and responsible for coordinating support for students within year 9 and year 10. The Wernham West Centre for Learning has four mandates that guides this work: working with all boys, working with individual students as needed, working with teachers to support best practices in the classroom, and connecting with external organization to further our professional development and learning. In addition to coordinating support for students, the individual in this position will also be responsible for planning and delivering the Ontario Ministry of Education General Learning Strategies Courses (GLS10 and GLS40).
- Develop individual education plans according to Ontario Ministry of Education requirements along with International Baccalaureate requirements and share plans with students, parents and teachers;
- Work collaboratively with the Centre for Learning Team and teachers to develop best teaching practices with a focus on boys and learning;
- Plan and deliver the Ontario Ministry of Education General Learning Strategies course (GLS10 and GLS 40);
- Work with teachers, department heads and the MYP Coordinator to develop and deliver the learning skills curriculum;
- Support students in preparing for the OSSLT and manage OSSLT accommodations;
- Coordinate and supervise our after school support program;
- Conduct language placement tests and provide support to ESL/ELL learners;
- Work collaboratively with the Health Centre team to support and implement student return-to-learn plans following a concussion or extended absence;
- Plan divisional aspects of any workshops or meetings hosted by the Centre for Learning;
- Create an inclusive and welcoming atmosphere in the Centre for Learning.
Key Knowledge, Competencies and Experience:
- Education degree with qualifications in Special Education;
- Previous teaching experience in the area of special education, guidance, or the general learning strategies program;
- Additional qualification in ESL and experience with assistive technology and the International Baccalaureate diploma program an asset;
- Experience reading educational evaluations and developing individual education plans;
- Previous teaching and work experience that involves collaboration in the area of curriculum development and instructional practices;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with colleagues, students, and parents;
- Highly effective team member with a strong collaborative and consultative approach;
- Exceptionally strong problem solving, organizational, time management skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to prioritize and deal with high volume of work with minimal supervision and frequent interruptions;
- Strong capacity for flexibility, self-direction and initiative;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Good understanding of boys’ development and needs.
Please apply online by creating a “Teachers” profile account by Wednesday February 14, 2018. We thank all candidates in advance; however, will contact only those selected for an interview.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value diversity, encouraging applicants from all qualified individuals. If you are contacted by UCC regarding a job opportunity, please advise us if you require any accommodations.
To learn more about us please visit our site at www.ucc.on.ca
Ask us any education related question or give us a call. The first 30 minutes are free.